We all know very well that at which point we are standing and where we are heading to. Now the time has come that we cannot ignore that environment needs our attention. In the name of development, we are causing vandalization to the environment and disturbing the mother nature. The cities were already suffering due to increase in pollution and now it started affecting the hilly and forest areas too. All the things are in front of us like the Shimla water scarcity problem, less snowfall in the hilly regions, continuously increment in the global temperature and what not.
Now it is the time that we have to act at any cost and take some steps to save and protect our environment and live it for a bright future.
One more thing, in this post I am not asking to do an extraordinary thing or fight against the system. I am mentioning small things that anyone can do. Only small changes together can bring a big change.
We all know water is one of the most important resources required for living. Still we do not understand its importance.
- Try to save water, whenever you see water getting wasted.
- Stop polluting the rivers. Stop throwing unnecessary things like flower and other things into the river.
- On treks or other hilly destinations, use local streams and river water for every purpose instead of packaged water bottle.
- Hilly regions where there is water scarcity use dry toilets instead of wet. Do not bath everyday.
- In small hilly villages, try to live in homestay instead of hotels
- Try using efficient methods to save water. For example- in home one can use the waste water in flushing system of toilets by just connecting a single pipe of washbasin to the flush tank. It will save a lot of water.
Plastic & Pollution
- Say no to plastics. Whether it is in the form of bags, straws, bottles, etc. During shopping carry your own bag and avoid taking plastic bags. During trips/treks carry your own bottle and avoid using plastic bottles. In case you are using plastic water bottles, try refilling them instead of buying new ones.
- Say no to Maggi or other packed foods on mountains which produce plastic waste.
- Do not smoke in public places and do not throw buds in the forest or in the fields because doing this can lead to forest fire.
- When on mountains, do not play loud music as it affects the wildlife and destroys the solitude of that place.
- Global warming is one of the major issues that we are facing. Vehicular pollution and appliances producing CFC’s (chlorofluorocarbon) and other harmful gases are the main things which are increasing pollution and global warming.
- Drive less as much as you can. Walk if your destination is few meters away. Use more and more public transport. Use shared taxi or carpooling instead of a private cab. Use cycle or two-wheeler instead of driving a car. This will help in reducing the traffic as well as pollution.
- Use LED lights instead of light bulbs or incandescent lights. It will cost you cheap and reduce carbon emission.
What government should do
- Government should ban plastics immediately.
- Make dustbins available at all the public places.
- Should implement proper education system to aware children about cleanliness and correct disposal of waste.
- Should implement strict laws against Industries generating waste.
- Things like bonfire which lead to deforestation should be banned.
- Rainwater harvesting system should be implemented
I tried to add all major points in the post. If you have any other idea or efficient method through which we can bring a change in the environment, do let me know in the comments.
So let’s compromise with today for a better tomorrow.